Starting an export-import business is a challenging, but rewarding opportunity for both the small and large companies. There are many things which should be set in place before you ever make one business transaction. For instance, what will you sell? Who can you trust? What industries are booming, and which ones should you avoid?
And those questions are just for beginners.
Once you have determined an adequate direction for your business, you need to worry about the logistics. How will you handle shipping? What forms of payment will you accept? Have you covered all the bases when it comes to licensing requirements and tax identification?
It can all be overwhelming if you have to learn the business from the ground up, and that can be the difference between success and failure.
Perhaps two of the biggest areas where you must excel if you hope for your business to be a success are in the areas of customs and shipping – in particular, shipping. After all, not all products ship the same, and mistakes in shipping can lead to excessive fines and loss of product.
To navigate the maze, it is worth the money you will pay to hire professional international freight forwarders for the enhancement of your business.
Here are five ways international freight forwarders can really bring out the best in your company:
- Clearance through customs: Customs paperwork is a tricky and sordid maze, especially if all you know about are the business-to-business commerce aspects of trade. Customs authorization is a complex area that will only further tax your understanding and clog your ability to take care of customers, vendors, and marketing. International freight forwarders, in addition to knowing all the ins and outs of proper shipping procedures, offer customs clearance services to aid you in simplifying your business.
- Any and all issues arising with documentation: In order to receive your payment from a bank, there are many documents that may be required to satisfy the involved bank or financial institution. One such document is the bill of lading. A proper bill of lading will facilitate fast payment, so you can keep your business moving along with your freight.
- Insurance: Not only do many freight forwarders provide insurance options for your shipments, they know what is best for the needs of your business, and can quickly determine the most protective and cost efficient way that you can complete each transaction.
- Inventory management: Who better to help you with inventory management than the service that handles your freight? Freight forwarders and international freight forwarders can help ensure your product, which means you will always have a clear handle on your company’s assets.
- Logistics and supply-chain management: Logistics is, of course, the management of the flow of goods and resources between the point of origin and the point of consumption. Careful planning is a necessity of successful freight flow, and freight forwarders are professionals at accomplishing this task.
Domestic and international freight forwarders are skilled at planning and execution. Both are full-time jobs. Where will you find the time to devote to it, when you’ve got your own business to run? Let freight forwarders take care of you, so you can take care of the customer.